Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Cars

The American Dream is alive and well. Its rationality is questionable but the idea that we can, through hard work and maybe a little luck, move our family up the social ladder, is still prevelant. Current political rhetoric is filled with references to the meritocracy that we are supposed to aspire to (We Built It, bootstraps, social safety net/crutch, etc.). The titles of this post and my blog, once again, are ripped from a song about the American Dream.

A lot of people will say that to them the American Dream means white picket fences, a chicken in every pot, and an unhealthy fear of the displaced. Neighborhoods, as Ernest Hemingway put it, "of wide lawns and narrow minds". But to me the American Dream is a little bit more broad and much more personal. To me the American Dream means giving your children a better chance at happiness than you had. That could mean a more stable home, a better financial position, or a bigger rolodex. I've seen the American Dream play out before my eyes as I've watched my father's career and rise to a much higher level of affluence than our family has seen. As a kid I listened to my dad's keyboard tic-tack until past midnight every weekend and we've had to cancel trips to Orioles games or walks to the park because he had to be on an urgent conference call. His American Dream required sacrifices. It usually does.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyways. That's what the American Dream is to me. We'll see if this has changed in a few weeks.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ezra,

    This is a great post! I think it's interesting how you included that quote from Ernest Hemingway. It's definitely true that the American Dream is different for everyone, and some people's dreams are more accepting than others. The fact that you've seen it happen firsthand really seems to show that it's possible, and not just a hopeless fantasy that people believe because they want to. Do you think there's an equal chance for everyone to fulfill their dream as long as they work hard enough? Nice post, keep up the good work!

    Thanks,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Olivia,

      I think it's possible for everyone to achieve whatever their version of the American Dream is, but I definitely don't think that everyone starts out on equal footing. It's pretty obvious that I, a white male private school student with a relatively stable home life, have an undeserved advantage over most of the country.

      I'm not actually convinced that the American Dream is realistic (there's a lot of luck that factors into success), but I still appreciate the idea that this should be a land of opportunity.

      So no, it's not hopeless. That would be something truly worth sitting in Zuccotti park for. But it definitely isn't fair.

      Ezra

      Delete
  2. Hello Ezra,

    I really enjoyed your post and how you put in you own experience into this. I also think that everyone at least strives and yearns for the American Dream. My dad is from Persia and he came to america and pursued his own American Dream. It took a great amount of hard work from hours like 7 in the morning until 9 in the evening. He pursued his dreams and that's why I think anyone can succeed as long as they put effort and does not give up. Do you think there needs to be some kind of basis or foundation for a person to be on the right path to succeed and live a happy life?
    Thank you,
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lily,

      That's a tough question that I really wish I knew the answer to. I think a happy life is a successful one, but I have absolutely no idea how to get there.

      Having a caring community around you would probably be my best guess. That, or lots of pasta.

      Ezra

      Delete
  3. Hi Ezra,
    I loved reading your post, partly because of the subject but also because you write very well. Nice job! I also really liked that you included a link to the song by Simon and Garfunkel. It always makes such a difference when there's a picture or link in a blog post.
    Moving on, I wonder, do you think that the American Dream has changed throughout the years? It seems like it would have to evolve with our ever changing society. Or, do you think that there is an essential part of the American Dream that always stays the same, like giving your children a better future or equal opportunities for all? And do you think that achieving the 'American Dream' (whatever it may be) has gotten easier, or has it's nature simply changed?
    Thanks again for such a thoughtful post.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare,

      I'm not sure that the American Dream has really changed that much. I mean, on the surface level it probably doesn't involve suburbia or crowding around the television or anything like that but I think that's more of a reflection of a shift in culture than anything else. The American Dream is mostly one of immigrants and immigration has never been higher. Until we're all in the top 1% the American Dream will live on.

      And I'm not sure it's any easier than it was 50 years ago either. In fact it's almost certainly become harder. Here's a cool article about it: http://depts.washington.edu/wcpc/Inequality

      So to your last question... neither? I don't know. The idea of the American Dream seems to be a constant but its practicality is changing.

      Delete